Monday, April 20, 2015

Fantasy Basketball

FANTASY BASKETBALL NERDS UNITE
2014-2015 Season Recap with Trade Analysis +
Exclusive Interview
With League Champion Blake Richardson


Play-by-Play Announcer talking, “Stephen Curry takes the ball down the floor, gets a screen at the top of the key.  He Shoots--BANG! Another 3 pointer for Curry! He can’t be stopped! How many 3’s is that tonight? 5 so far, Wow!”
“Whoever has him on their fantasy team has to be ecstatic right now!”
Fade to a blonde, pale kid sitting on couch crying. Yep that’s me, watching my fantasy season come to a heartbreaking end at the hands of Stephen Curry. Frantically my eyes keep darting to my laptop every 10 seconds hoping for some reason Curry’s stats will just vanish off the scoreboard. Maybe the scorekeepers will take away all his points and assists; he has to be cheating to be this good… I hope. But the realization sinks in anyway. After all the hard work: the trades, the pickups, the research; the hours I could have been doing something more productive and I have come up just short.
I have lost to my arch nemesis Blake Richardson in our Fantasy Basketball Finals. My heart can’t take it! It’s too much. I search my mind for answers. Why did Zach Randolph choose to suck the week I needed him most? Why did Bojan Bogdanovic only play 9 minutes on the final day? Was Jeremy Lin really sick or faking?  Ricky Rubio, my beloved spanish point guard, Por Que? The sting of betrayal is too much.
My eyes begin to water; my tear ducts feel like damns that have been smashed open. I swim in the painful tears of a fantasy loss.
As I look back up at the TV, Stephen Curry looks directly into the camera at me as he drains another three and laughs in my face. The damage of my soul will take years to fix.
Ok just kidding. LOL. So I like to exaggerate a little bit. Honestly though who am I kidding? I love this shit. I made it all the way to the finals and it came down to the final day!! One or two things go differently and I would have won. What a great year!

I want to say thanks to everyone who participated in our 6th annual Fantasy Basketball League, especially our newest members Broneel, Big Mike, and Giovanni. You guys played well and made the league more exciting. I look forward to playing with you again next year.

This league is by far my favorite of all the fantasy sports leagues I participate in. We have the most competitive group of basketball enthusiasts I’ve ever played against! I enjoy that every time were together we spend our time discussing trades and talking about our team needs. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, “This guy fits my team,” I would be a millionaire. As Tyler would always say to me, “Tim, Anthony Davis fits everyone’s team”. “Yeah well he fits my team best of all!” I would emphatically reply. Either that or were complaining about the horrible trade offers we have been sent. Again another dollar for every time I heard, “So-and-so sent me this ridiculous trade!” Millionaire to Billionaire!

Special thanks should be given to our League Commissioner Tyler Brandt, who has led us to two solid, controversy-free years. As some of you may know, our league suffered many early struggles. There were controversies, arguments, rule changes, league owner turnover and more. Friendships were tested and stretched.
Yep it’s that serious.
We want to win and we want to win BAD! That’s what makes this league so great. The competition drives us to rethink strategies, try new things, and take more risks. Money or not, it’s more about pride and proving you’re the most knowledgeable, smartest fantasy basketballer there is. Even if one of us won the league ten years in a row, we would not feel a shred of guilt. If you’re looking for a sympathy win, this Isn’t the league for you. 

Now without Further ado, the exclusive one on one interview with this year’s League Champion Blake Richardson
How does it feel to be a first time champion?

It’s a dream come true. Ever since we started this league 6 years ago, I’ve always dreamed of this day.

Based on how you drafted, how do you feel about what you accomplished?

I actually didn’t draft my team. But only 2 players from the original draft were on my final team, so I feel a sense of accomplishment knowing that I was able to win the league with good trades and pickups. Even if you draft poorly, there is still hope to turn your team around and contend for a title.

What was the best move you made during the season?

The best move I made was trading Lebron for Curry. This was a bold move for me because in years past the thought of trading away Lebron James was crazy. But ultimately Curry became my best player and was a major factor in my Championship run.

What does it take to become a champion?

I’ve always had good teams, and made the playoffs almost every season. The key to finally getting over the hump for me was making BOLD MOVES, like the Curry trade for example. It also comes down to some luck and good timing.

Do you have a mentor or anyone to thank for helping you accomplish your goal?

Someone told me a while ago that, “You’re never gonna be good enough to play professional sports so you might as well get into fantasy” Best advice I’ve ever got.

What impact does this have on you going into next year? What’s your mindset?

After coming close so many times and not winning a title, doubt about ever winning started to creep in and I believed the Fantasy Gods were against me. Now that I finally won, I have a sense of total confidence that I could win it every year. 

Who is the toughest person to trade within the league? What was the worst trade offer you received?

I did receive a lot of bad trade offers, but no one in particular stands out. I will say this though; Big Mike really wanted Lamarcus Aldridge. LOL

Who is the league curse?

In one way or another Brian will always get his man and if he doesn’t you will be sorry, get your IR slot ready.

Who did u want to beat the most this year in fantasy? Who’s your Rival?

My top threat and rival has always been you, coming down the stretch of the season I knew we were going to be the one and two seeds. So I knew if I had a chance to play you in the playoffs I would want some payback for you beating me in the finals three years ago. Revenge is sweet.

Which player scares you the most the own?

Depends on what year it is, but this year it was Lamarcus Aldridge. I knew that all it would take was one swipe to that injured and thumb and my fantasy season would be done.

Which player did you hate to own?

I’ve got a few actually. One is Spencer Hawes, I owned him for part of the year and I was happy to drop him. The other was Gerald Henderson, he is a disease. He is the ultimate fantasy slut, I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t owned him at some point during the 6 years of fantasy.

Out of all your years in fantasy which player was you’re Favorite to own?

Steve Nash, he was my favorite player in the NBA. It was joy to watch him perform on the court and on my fantasy team as well. I had him the year I made it to the finals but lost.

Which up and comer in the league could contend for a future title?

Broneel, I’m glad he was on the other side of the playoff the bracket this year because I did not want to have to face him. He definitely has the potential to win it all in the future. He did great for his first time in the league, making it all the way to the semifinals.

If the NBA gets locked out in 2017 and there’s no Fantasy Basketball what will u do?

Go to the top of a 30 story building and jump off to spare everyone from my misery for missing out on Fantasy basketball

What are the keys to your Success?

Every day before looking at my Fantasy Roster I go and STRETCH, stretching is the most important key to fantasy success. It also pays to have good hip flexors and rock solid calves. If you thought about drafting Kobe Bryant in the 1st round this year and you think that’s a risk, try not stretching for a day.

Will your favorite NBA team, the Sacramento Kings ever be good?

The year all of our fantasy trades go through without any complaints is the year the Sacramento Kings will win the Championship.

2014-2015 Trade Analysis

            Making trades is one of the most fun and exciting aspects of Fantasy Basketball. However, trades can also cause the most controversy and disputes. They can tear leagues apart and alienate owners. Everyone has his or her opinion when a trade goes down.
“Why did Guy A give away that star player? What is Guy B up too? What was he thinking?”
We pose these questions to ourselves whenever a trade is accepted. We introspect and sort through our own trading experiences, our biases towards certain owners based on their past histories, and our biases towards the NBA players themselves. To Guy A the player is overrated; to Guy B he is a star. To Guy A that player isn’t good enough to be owned; to Guy B he is a must-own.
So who is right?
No one really knows for sure until the season plays out and even then it’s not always clear who “won the trade.” All we can do at the time the trade is accepted is to use all the information we have available to us at the time try and look at each trade logically, without bias and decide if it’s fair. I believe a strong veto system with equally strong and knowledgeable owners are needed for trading to go smoothly. Which I believe we have.
 So here is the fun part: Who won?
I’ll give you my opinions. You may not agree and that’s ok. What fun would it be if we agreed on everything?

Brian trades: Nicolas Batum, Omer Asik
Big Mike trades: Marc Gasol, Thad Young.
Analysis: Brian gets the win. Marc Gasol finished as the #1 fantasy center and stayed healthy all year long. The same can’t be said of Batum or Asik who both were bothered with injuries for most of the year. Big Mike was definitely Asik-ing for it

Tim trades: Gordon Hayward, Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver
Brian trades: Chris Paul, JJ Barea
Analysis: I think I probably gave up more than I should so you could say just looking at the players and nothing else Brian won. But I think this was a pretty even trade overall. I got a top five player and room to make pickups. Brian got three very solid pieces which gave his team a lot of depth. Teague and Hayward had career years, Korver was solid as always. Chris Paul, well, he was Chris Paul.

Blake trades: Kevin Love
Troy trades: Lamarcus Aldridge, Jose Calderon
Analysis: Blake wins. Kevin Love did not live up to expectations, his shooting, rebounding and scoring all down from years previous. Maybe he is not getting the necessary Love there in Cleveland. Playing with other stars will do that too you. Lamarcus, aside from a thumb injury scare, was his usual, solid self and surprisingly efficient, too, with only 1.7 TO’s a game.

Troy trades: Marcin Gortat, Jimmy Butler, Darren Collison, Ben Maclemore
Big Mikes trades: Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic
Analysis: Troy wins here. Collison got hurt; Bmac was relegated to the waiver wire and too delivering pizzas. Stephen Curry had his best year ever; Dragic got his wish and was traded to a full time PG role on the Heat. However, Big Mike did get the depth he needed at the time, as well as soon-to-be Most Improved Player of the Year and studly efficient Jimmy Butler.

Tyler trades: Brandon Jennings
Big Mike trades: Trevor Ariza, Joe Johnson
Analysis: Tyler wins here but mainly cause of the season ending injury to Jennings. If Jennings stays healthy all year I would give the win to Big Mike. Jennings was just starting to round into form when he went down. Trevor Ariza and Joe had down seasons compared to previous years. Don’t let Ariza Teaz Ya.

Big Mikes trades: Omer Asik, Nicolas Batum
Troy trades: Derrick Rose
Analysis: By default I guess I give it to Troy. Although it’s hard to judge this one fully if we take into consideration what happened after. Big Mike took a risk with Rose, banking on Rose’s amazing durability, not. He was able to trade him away just in the nick of time to Brian. Ill award Rose the “Hot Potato Player of The Year” You pass him around and hope the music doesn’t stop when he is on your team. So whoever was stuck with Rose at the end needs to treat the burns on their hands. Batum Goes the Dynamite.

Troy trades: Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic
Armeen trades: Rajon Rondo, Serge Ibaka
Analysis: Armeen wins this one. Like I mentioned above, Curry=STUD, Dragic gets to run the show in Miami. Rondo gets traded to the Mavs and doesn't fit well. Dealing with Rondo, Is like that moment when you’re doing a puzzle and there is a piece that got in there from another box and you’re wondering where the heck you’re supposed to put it before realizing its from the wrong puzzle. His stats in “Fantasy” as well as in “Real Life” suffer greatly. Not to mention the negative affect he has had on the Mavericks; Troy was glad team chemistry rating was not included in fantasy scoring. Serge was doing well but an injury cut his season short. The Curry Carousel continues as well here.

Tony trades: Carmelo Anthony, Brook Lopez, Bradley Beal
Brian trades: Gordon Hayward, Aaron Afflalo, Thaddeus Young
Analysis: This probably is the most controversial trade we had during the year. Aaron Afflalo was a coming off the bench until an injury to Wes Matthews promoted him to a starter. Thadd was getting mad and was playing inconsistent minutes, but was later traded to Brooklyn and played well. My sleeper, Hayward had a solid year. I was born in Hayward, just thought you should know. The trade was close to being vetoed at the time, but due to the risk Brian was taking by trading for Anthony after injury concerns, made it fair enough in the commissioner’s opinion to put it through. Unfortunately for trade tycoon Brian, the rumors turned into reality soon after the trade was processed and Anthony went out for the year. My opinion; Tony wins this trade with a lot of luck. 

Armeen trades: Joakim Noah
Tyler trades: Greg Monroe
Analysis: Armeen wins. Joakim got banged up soon after the trade and there was too much depth in Chicago with Pau and my boy Mirotic playing so well. The playing time wasn’t there. Monroe averaged a double double.

Tyler trades: Joe Johnson
Brian trades: Tony Wroten
Analysis: Another one of those freak after trade injuries. Had quite a number of those this year, makes you wonder if voodoo dolls and witchcraft might be involved.  Wroten went out for the year right after the trade. So Brian is the obvious winner here. But the real question is, where does Brian keep the dolls?

Tim trades: Dirk Nowitzki
Brian trades: Zach Randolph
Analysis: I’ll give myself the win here. I was reluctant to give up Dirk because I valued his efficiency highly, but Randolph was too much to pass up. It took weeks for me to finally give up my German Bomber. Lucky for me Dirk started a career worst slump a week or two after the trade and Randolph went into beast mode. Except for finals week…sigh.

Blake trades: Isaiah Thomas, Tim Duncan, Mike Conley
Tyler trades: Lebron James, Mo Williams
Analysis: I’d say an even trade here. Tyler got what he needed--depth and efficiency--which helped him secure a playoff spot. Blake got a star that he could use as a bargaining chip, and a rejuvenated Mo Williams.  From a pure player talent standpoint Blake would probably get the win, because he got the best player in the deal. But it’s one of those trades that where there is more to it that meets the eye. The players Tyler received did let him down as Conley struggled a bit down the stretch and the husilin husky was hurt in the playoffs. The most amazing thing though is that Tim Duncan continues to defy old age and be a fantasy asset. He must bathe in a Lazarus pit at home

Armeen trades: Stephen Curry
Blake trades: Lebron James
Analysis: Stud for a stud. Blake’s BOLD move. Both are winners, maybe Blake a bit more because Curry’s monster year gave him the edge he needed against me in the Finals. Curry finally found a home. He will most likely be a top five pick next year. No wonder Curry always upsets my stomach.

Tyler trades: Trevor Ariza, Josh Smith, Andre Drummond
Armeen trades: Kevin Durant, Louis Williams, Goran Dragic
Analysis: No clear winner here for me. Tyler took a chance that Durant would come back for the playoffs and lead him to fantasy glory, but it didn’t pay off. He did however; get Goran while he was still standing in the corner for the Suns. So when Goran traded dry heat for moist heat, Tyler benefited.  Armeen got some inefficient players and was already out of the playoffs at this point anyway.

Armeen trades: Greg Monroe, Nikola Pekovic, MCW
Big Mike trades: Marcin Gortat, Jimmy Butler, Darren Collison
Analysis: Armeen wins. He got the best player in the deal, Jimmy Butler. Pek and Collison got hurt. Monroe was better than naughty Gortaty, but not by much. I think this was Mikes last-ditch effort to make a run at the 6 seed--it was worth a shot!

Big Mike trades: Eric Gordon, Derrick Rose, Nikola Pekovic, MCW
Brian trades: Jeff Teague, Marc Gasol, Deron Williams
Analysis: Big mike wins in a landslide. Moments after the trade went through D-Rose went down for the year and Pekovic got hurt…again. MCW was average and no longer apart of the stat generous Philly train wreck. Gordon well, his first name is Eric, so that has to mean something right? I don’t blame either of these guys for making this move; they both had to make some moves if they wanted to get in the playoffs. You take the risk here. Nothing to lose. But again the real question here is, if Brian’s players are getting hurt then who really is using the voodoo dolls? And why couldn’t that person have made a Curry doll for the fantasy playoffs? Guess we will never know.
           
 Thanks for reading ladies and gents! Pat yourselves on the back! Seriously! I think most of our generation probably wont have the attention span to make it all the way down here, so if you here than you must still value reading, either that or you're just really bored. Comment below if you agree or disagree with my analysis and what you think. Or if you want then just want to send me some hate, I'm always in the mood for a good laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment